Specialty Ask | Masks
In short, around the country, there is a growing need for masks and other medical supplies. You can learn more about this need in this NY Times article: “A Sewing Army, Making Masks for America.” While there are many stories and every community is different, we found this to be the most helpful overview of the need and potential actions people are taking. You can also learn more about this need from the CDC: “Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of Faskmasks.”
If you happen to be a contractor, painter, plumber, etc. or just have a stash around your house or office, please consider donating these:
- You can deliver masks to the church at 1345 Williams Grove Road, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. At the traffic circle on the lower entrance, go through the double doors. Just inside, next to a brick column, will be Rubbermaid bin that is video monitored.
- You may drop the masks off only between 9 a.m.- 4 p.m., M-F, but note the church building is closed to the public.
- If you have questions, you can email Abby Flanders at email@example.com or call (814)242.4399. Abby attends our church and is a medical professional. She’s become the point of contact for us on this.
- Abby and her team will collect the masks on a regular basis. Abby’s team will wash the masks and prep them for distribution.
In the event of a mask shortage, local hospitals may allow the use of cotton masks. You can learn more about this from the CDC. Here’s an instructional video, supported by Masks4Medicine. As more information becomes available, we will update that here. Please note, even if these masks are not used by medical professionals because they are unneeded, Abby and her connections will use them for assisting patients getting to/from medical offices. They will not be a wasted effort. Abby’s team will wash the masks and prep them for distribution.
- You may donate these masks using the same process above. Thank you!
There’s a helpful Facebook Group, Masks4Medicine, where you can explore this further. Thank you for joining this effort.